Tuesday, April 26, 2005

British English

Guyz who read enough Victorian novels would be familiar
with the ways of the British. No offence meant ... its polite
and all that .. the fact that it is so very different from the way
other people write or speak English makes it a matter of many
jokes.. For example .. if a girl wants to say "Stop irritating me"
to her friend this is how she would say in Jane Austin's
"Pride and Predujice "
"You take delight in vexing me, you have no compassion on my nerves. Pray cease humouring at my expense. "

Even if two guys challenge each other for a duel ... a typical conversation goes .....
Sir Blahington : "Pray specify the time and place for the deal, Sir"
Captain Almer : "I sincerely hope that thrity minutes past ten this night is most suitable to you Sir."
Sir Blahington: "I would be ready to pull your nose at the appointed hour, Sir, please be sure Sir, I certainly would".
Captain Almer : "Indeed Sir, so would I."

It is a different experience all together reading Victorian classics like - "David Copperfield", "Pride and Prejudice" etc. I read things long back ... something stirred up these thought in me and so the outcome is
this blog..

1 Comments:

At 26 April, 2005 22:01, Blogger saka said...

Hi chakDaddy,

agreed with u about british engish.Since there is not board to leave any message, this comment is more to tell u hi than on ur post.

Keep Going ............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home