Friday, December 15, 2006

domestic ramblings



"Brinjal !!", she said, as her face lit up.
My sister was answering my question as to which curry was the easiest to prepare. She's been a mother to me ever since i had to come to Bangalore for my job. Domestic affairs bore me to death, so I was extremely interested in knowing how one can be happy doing the same thing everyday. Of course , we all do almost the same thing everyday and yet be happy about it. I'm a software programmer by profession, but i do a lot of things than just programming, I participate in decision making, technical discussions, etc etc I felt at least my job was not that monotonous as compared to, say, cutting vegetables, arranging the house back to shape after the mess that kids make, all through out thinking about food that someone else might like might not like ... psshah ! GOD help her.

I had put similar sentiments before my mother a lot of times. Her reply always satisfied me for the moment and then didn't at some later point in time. She simply said, she loved us and so she loved her job. My sister's sentiments were similar too. But then, she has an artistic bent of mind. So she also found happiness in different ways of making something, do a bit of embroidery and painting over porcelain whenever she feels extremely bored. Ah ! I must add, i feel that my mother and her sisters had a very comfortable time bringing us up (me, my cousins viz. my generation) when compared my sister bringing up my nephews. I strongly remember (me and my brother being the only children) my father insisting that we help our mother in the daily cores and we, feeling subtly happy, as we clearly saw that this help, though small, made her happy.
There is no such notion in the minds of my nephews. They entertain the impression that they are born to be served.

And the modern girls too. I'm not an advocate of girl-should-be-at-home-only philosophy. But, I always felt and feel that the delicacy of home making is a privilege and art better known to a female than to a male. In families where both father and mother work and the kids are kept in day-care centers, not knowing the mother's touch, and father's love for most of the time in the day are brought up in such an environment void of any sentiments.

I know husbands who don't budge an inch even as wife struggles beyond hope, cooped up in her domestic activities and I know also of families where both the parents work so much at office and home that the kids are be-spoiled. I crave for a family of my own (whenever that forms ;-) ) to be somewhere in the balance. Where the mother can love and care for her kids in the day without having to bother about money earning, be the first teacher to her kids, (her education is not worthless) and yet be upto date with her surroundings. Father comes home, spends time with kids, have a thing or two to help his wife and be happy.

Amen !!
~

5 Comments:

At 28 December, 2006 04:06, Blogger Vishwanatha Krishnamurthy Melinmane said...

tChax,

a good one.

I remember in one of the personality development sessions in Novell, the trainer asked all the participants
"The parents do lot many things for their kids right from admitting him to right school...taking care of his expenses...taking care of his feelings...taking care of his dreams...supporting him in learning 'how to face the life' etc etc etc...Is this a sacrifice or duty ? "
we had a good discussion around this topic. Some of us were confused with sacrifice and duty :) when this topic was brought on the table.
Then the trainer concluded that it's not a sacrifice but it's a duty.

Any thoughts on this ???

--
With respect,
Vishwa

 
At 28 December, 2006 10:45, Blogger Chax said...

hey vish .. nice to c your comment.
i didn't know you blog too. Just saw your
blog ..nice posts :)

i feel the duty is fine. But I also feel that it is equally duty of the kid to reciprocate as he/she grows up.

 
At 29 December, 2006 03:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A slight contradictory fact in your blog: On one breath you said you sympathise with the girl for sitting at home and doing the same job everyday, while at the same time you like the girl to be at home talking care of the kids. Its going to be a boring job to be at home all the time especially if the girl is also educated and is capable of working and leaving in a city far from her relatives. [put urself in her shoes]

..Why should the girl study so hard , compete with the guys in the class if she is going to stay at home and cook and teach her children- It doesnot really require a degree to do that, she can feel cheated.

I really see a dilemma in the hearts of the modern intelligent woman - To work or To take care of family, and the prejudices of Men really not helping them.

 
At 29 December, 2006 06:18, Blogger Chax said...

so, according to you, education has to be for a job earning only is it ?

That way then, there will be huge unemployment and imbalance. It's like saying why not everybody be rich.

I said "I" would have felt bored. But there are many people who take joy in that as i have given the example of my own mother. Since I don't like my mother to do all the work, I help her whenever I can.

My dream soul mate is educated and knowledgeable enough to stand on her own feet. But, that doesn't mean she has to bother about earning.

As I said, i'm not for consequences like
- both parents busy working
- so either the girl's or the boy's parents still have to serve them at their old age
- kids have very less of either of parent's time.

So do I want to sit at home and feed the child, sing him lullabies ? Can I give him all those things that is necessary that a mother alone can ? NO.

So i want a girl who (in case of any dire situation,) can stand on her own feet and yet can be a home maker. I'd help her in whatever way I can. (maid, machines, myself ..)

If she is of that bent of mind, I'll be lucky. No regrets to any one.

where do you see contradictions ?

 
At 01 January, 2007 04:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-). I remember a similar lunch time discussion we had some time back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home