Sunday, December 03, 2006

existence


yeah ... a scary thought indeed.
Existence | Ex*ist"ence |
n. Cf. F. existence.

1. The state of existing or being; actual possession of
being; continuance in being; as, the existence of body and
of soul in union; the separate existence of the soul;
immortal existence.
1913 Webster

generally, as a rule, i don't post any wisdomous (Joey ;-) ) stuff but i thought i'll
rant for a bit.
This question baffled almost all of us at some point in time or the other. I do not
profess that i have gauged the concept thoroughly enough to write about it .. but I
wonder ... is it even possible to know for sure ?
There are so many things involved that i'm at loss to know where to start ..
anyways ... when some one says I exist what does that mean ?
The thing that immediately comes to my mind is that - The possesion of the knowledge
that we see, hear, taste, smell and feel. This is true in the sense that, this is what we perceive.
But I donno if i can call it existence. I'll tell you why. Often do we come across
statements in mathematics such as .... there exists a number such that blah blah is not
doodle-do and so there can't exist a limit on the blah foo blah ... and so on and so
forth. Ahha !! a number exists .. !! where ?? Can a number feel, hear, taste, smell and
see ??? Imagine !!
Fine. People may say .. oh please !! there is a thing called logical existence and physical
existence. Well, lets draw some lines here. To us -
The concept of "physical" existence is more appealing as meaning for the word existence.
What are all these hearing, seeing and all this stuff anyway ? (people who saw the movie
Matrix will not entertain such doubts any more ... ) Myriad electro magnetic impulses that
go to and forth the machine that brain is. Now, my friend, what is '2' ? or '3.414' for that
matter ? Another such impulse ? Then why characterize it differently ? I donno.
I just want to "be" content sometimes with the thought all that out there "is" just huge
transfer of energies (electro-magnetic crap or otherwise) into various other forms.
I also "feel" most of the times that I'm better off not "thinking" and just enjoying the life
as it comes ..
But then, I have this unsatiable ego to know that I do what I please ... but with this existence
funda kicking in, I don't see it logically happening ... myriad levels of transfer of energies ...
huhh !!
i'll stop. [at last ..]

4 Comments:

At 04 December, 2006 00:52, Blogger Puthali said...

hmm....existence...a gud philosophical discussion topic neday... :)
btw u r right 'existence' is not wht we perceive(see,hear...), its independent of it...
supposing u say in my 'dream-world' there exists -
no religion,
time-machines,
no DRM... :)
doesnt mean they actually exist....do they? coz it is in a dream-world...
so the word 'exist' is just used to describe a state of being, existing...thr u go again using the same word to define itself... :)
guess, the confusion arises when you use the verb 'to exist' in places where verb 'to be' may be more suitable, as instead of 'there exists a number', 'there is a number' may be more appropriate...
even then i dont think there shd be too much of confusion regarding tht...

but then the confusion is in wht is real 'n whts not...as you point out....evrything is nothing but an electric impulse....wht u think exists or doesnt exist is wht ur mind tells you...as in the whole concept of 'I' is a paradox(perhaps?) created by mind....
i better not start on the concept of 'I' here...otherwise the rambling will go on 'n on... :D

 
At 04 December, 2006 21:29, Blogger RP said...

Dude, your post re-confirmed my conviction on this philosophy of life - I'm better off not "thinking" and just enjoying the life
as it comes ..
:-)

 
At 06 December, 2006 08:58, Blogger Puthali said...

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/existentialism/

something i came across now...'n reminded me of ur post... :)

 
At 28 December, 2006 21:12, Blogger batt said...

haha.. it feels good to see people who are as confused as I am/was/will be?? :-)... here
http://mindeavour.blogspot.com/2006/07/what-is-question.html#links

anyways, this link claims to clear some such confusions, chk this one
http://www.buddhistinformation.com/lectures_on_the_heart_sutra.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home